For Sale, Rare RV, 1987 VW LT CamperPrice: $34,500 Contact: SOLD
Used RV for Sale, found this rare VW LT camper offered for sale by the owner in Friendswood, Texas. Hard to find today, especially in the US, it's a high-top camper built by Westfalia based on a 1987 Volkswagen LT28 heavy-duty van, in excellent condition runs and drives well powered by a 6-cylinder diesel engine mated with a 5-speed manual transmission with only 91K miles on it. If you're interested, please read more below.
|Interior Color||Black, White|
Detail by owner
This is the one they built especially for grown-ups (not just hippies with no cash!)….
Super cool like the old-style VW bus, but much roomier - even sleeping for 2+2 adults or 2 adults/3 kids!... Also, the high top means you can stand up tall inside and not feel like you're living in a sardine can… All this, while still keeping that VW old-school cool factor intact….
- 5-speed commercial-grade 6-cylinder diesel with only 91K miles
- professional Westfalia-style build-out
- built-in sink, 2-burner gas cooktop & fridge/cooler
- portable toilet is nicely hidden in the furnishings
- built-in 40lb propane tank (no lugging around the bottles!)
- dining area converts to double bed with mattress topper
- upstairs bed for 2 adults or 3 kids, accessible by ladder
- cabinets storage everywhere (so much more than smaller-style hippie bus)
- leveling jacks all around
- removable triple bike rack
- towing hitch (to take along your scooter, motorcycle, boat, whatever)
- massive professional-quality aluminum rooftop storage box
- clean title & Texas registration
These things were built from 1975-1991 in Germany…. VW did it right for this one - no underpowered air-cooled engines with so much maintenance - instead, they built these using chassis & engine parts that are all commercial-grade truck components built to last for decades….
Officially known as the VW LT28, these super-duty campers were never exported to the USA, so this is a real eye-catcher…. This particular model has been used for just 1 trip per year of around 3000 miles, and has driven only 91k miles so far - meaning you've got about 160k more to go before the motor even gets close to its mid-life mileage of 250k….
So with all that being said, you're probably wondering why we're selling it at all. If you want to know, read our story below...
We are a semi-retired couple who love to travel…. We split our year between US & Europe. COVID rental car craziness/shortages led us to buy an old-school VW bus in Europe and ship it to the US, where we drove it around for our time there…. The bus was so popular, that we sold it and did it again the next year…. Now we're hooked on bringing these treasures to the US – this is our 4th time!... Of course, we never want problems and neither do you and so each time before we ship, we have a VW garage to give it a complete once-over so that everything is in tip-top shape for cruising….
That's our story. Now it's time for yours…
Update listing of the LT, Volkswagen RVs